On March 3, Forsyth County voters approved a ¼ cent sales tax to fund local supplement increases for
working in WInston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools. The tax will go into effect on July 1, 2020. It
the combined sales tax rate in the county to 7 cents for every dollar spent. It will not apply to
purchases like gas, groceries and prescription drugs. For more information on the referendum, click here.
Below is the timeline of how the referendum was placed on the ballot and how the tax is planned to go
- June 6, 2019 - County
Commissioners adopt the Forsyth County 2019-2020 Budget Ordinance
with a Board directed initiative to hold an Article 46 Sales Tax Referendum in March 2020
intention of using proceeds to increase teacher supplements.
- September 24, 2019 -
The Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Board of Education approves a resolution
in support of the County Commissioners placing a ¼ cent sales tax referendum on the primary
ballot and stating that all revenue it generates will be used for school employees.
- September 26, 2019 - County
Commissioners approve a resolution that places a referendum on
the March 3 primary ballot for the ¼ cent sales tax and commits all revenue it generates to
the educational needs of Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools.
- March 3, 2020 - Forsyth County voters approve the ¼ cent sales tax.
- March 17, 2020 - The Forsyth County Board of Elections certifies the
results of the referendum on the sales tax.
- March 19, 2020 - County
Commissioners formally levy the ¼ cent sales tax.
- May 7, 2020 (scheduled) - Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Board of
Education approves a budget devoting the revenue from the ¼ cent sales tax to local teacher
- June 11, 2020 - County Commissioners approve a Forsyth County 2020-2021 Budget
that repeals the one cent increase in
property tax in the 2019-2020 budget that funded local teacher supplement increases, and
allocates all the money from the ¼ cent sales tax
to Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools for the purpose of increasing teacher supplements.
- July 1, 2020 - The ¼ cent sales tax goes into effect in Forsyth County.
- 2020-2021 School Year - Winston-Salem Forsyth County School teachers
receive increased local supplements.